Causes for Grey Divorce
Published 03/11/19 by Admin
Divorce lawyers in Cincinnati Ohio are seeing an increasing number of older couples getting divorced. The Pew Research Center did a study that found the number of divorces among people over 50 has doubled since the 1990s.
Why More Boomers and Seniors Are Divorcing
The top reasons for gray divorces are:
- It is more socially acceptable to get divorced than it used to be.
- Women now are not as financially dependent on their husbands as they were in the past.
- Life expectancy is higher now. People also tend to remain healthier as they get older.
- People who have finished raising their kids want to have some “me” time.
- People who have already been through a divorce are more likely to get divorced again.
Complications of Gray Divorces
Getting divorced at an older age can cause difficulties. These include:
- Getting divorced shortly before retirement can create serious financial problems.
- Spouses who have been together for a long time will have accumulated many assets. Untangling the assets will be complicated.
- Health problems become more common as people get older, and divorcing spouses will no longer have each to rely on when they become sick.
If you are a senior or boomer seeking a divorce, having a good lawyer by your side is the most important thing you can do to ensure that you have the best possible outcome. An experienced Cincinnati divorce lawyer will help you navigate the divorce system. The divorce lawyers at Barr, Jones & Associates will help you arrange your finances so that you are on a firm footing after your marriage ends. Our lawyers will fight to see that your interests are protected and that assets are divided fairly.